If you’re visiting Hong Kong for business or pleasure, I highly recommend getting the PCCW prepaid international mobile plan. Make sure your GMS phone is unlocked before you leave the country. You may also want to check out my previous posts on what to see and where to stay in Hong Kong.
PCCW has one of the cheapest prepaid calling plans in the world, and you can even call international numbers with great rates. The two downsides are:
- You need to memorize a bunch of codes to dial long distance (IDD)
- You will need to use the prepaid SIM at least once every three months
For your convenience, below are the codes used to dial international numbers from Hong Kong, and codes you’ll need to dial to use the PCCW prepaid SIM from abroad:
* Calling from Hong Kong to International number: 0060 + Country Code + Area Code + Telephone Number. If you are calling the US from Hong Kong: 0060-1-212-xxx-xxxx.
* When you are outside of Hong Kong (i.e., back in the US), you can still use the SIM card to keep it active with favorable rates. To call Hong Kong with the PCCW Rechargeable SIM: **128* + Hong Kong Telephone Number + # then SEND.
* While you are roaming and you want to use the PCCW SIM to call the local country (i.e., you are in the US and want to call a number in the US): **128*001 + Country Code + Area Code + Telephone Number + # then SEND. If you are in the US and want to call a US number: **128*001-1-212-xxx-xxxx.
You can pick up a PCCW prepaid rechargeable SIM card from HK$28 to HK$100 in value at any PCCW store, malls or grocery stores. Recharging your PCCW prepaid SIM can be done the same way. It’s similar to buying prepaid long distance phone cards across the world, where you buy a prepaid card at a grocery store with an activation code.